Search This Blog

Monday 19 April 2010

Now then Mate!

A traditional Lincolnshire welcome to my new blog!

I hope to use this blog to share my experiences of my journey into home brewing and hope it will prove useful to others.

I started brewing again last year after a break away from it for over 15 yrs. Back then the kits were nothing special and I think I probably had less patience than I do now days.

The home brew kits have certainly moved on alot since my last attempt at making drinkable ale and the results and encouraged me to brew more.

One additional improvement to the home brew scene has been the access to ingredients and knowledge thanks to the relentless rise of t'internet over the intervening years. It was both of these factors that encouraged me to move gradually from kits, into extract brewing and finally into full mash, all grain brewing.

So, I now brew out of my garage on a fairly Heath Robinson type setup, using water, grain, hops and yeast.

My next step over the coming months is to start entering competitions while I continue to develop and hone my brewing process and recipes. It's still early days and I'm learning all the time but it's fun learning and I'm making loads of new acquaintances all the time - the home brew community are a friendly bunch.

The race is on to enter the first competition of the year and I'll be blogging about this in the coming months.

Happy Days!

1 comment:

  1. Now then mate, how about an update on this! How's the brewing going? Had any luck in competitions? I await an update with batemans breath :)

    ReplyDelete